Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

A house is not a home


I wasn’t born here, not really,
But I was reborn here time and time again.

There was this one morning, the first morning,
When I woke up and gave birth to my first child
And a mother was also born
Into this house.

There was another morning, a cold morning
When I woke up and  felt this yearning
To paint
And an artist was born
Into this house.

One night, a clear night on a full moon,
I opened the window and howled at the moon
And a wild woman was born
Into this house.

One other night, I woke up from this amazing dream
That urged me to listen to my soul
And a dreamer was born
Into this house.

On day I heard a song and it moved me
It moved me so deep that I started to dance
And a dancer was born
Into this house.
This was my home.

I won’t die here, not really,
But surely I died here, more than once.

There was this one morning
When I woke up paralyzed,
Drenched in sorrow, stuck, empty
I laid down on the bathroom floor
And a victim died.
Into this house.

On another morning I woke up alone
I felt discouraged, abandoned, and deeply hurt
A lonely wife surrendered her love
Into this house.

One night I got so frightened
That I regressed to my mother’s womb
Dark and moist, numb and helpless
And a child passed away
Into this house.

With it’s river of births and deaths
Carved into it’s walls and floors,
Into it’s corners and doors,
This house has lived inside of me
As much as I have lived inside of it.

It has given me shelter, love and inspiration
Rocked me to sleep,
Whispered lullabies to my weary children
Poured it’s song of stone and wood into my heart
Incubated my dreams and hatched my wounds.

This house taught me to belong.
To belong to my home, to my family,
To belong to my dreams, to my ideals,
To belong to my land, to this earth,
But, above of all, to belong to myself.

Yet this house does not belong to me
Nor does this land, this earth, these people.
I weep as I receive my final lesson,
The one of letting go.

For it is now the time to let it go
To retrieve the pieces of soul
Hidden in it’s every corner
It is time to build another home,
This time a home inside of me,
A home that I will carry with me
Wherever I go.

I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment