Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

The apartment


I visited the apartment today
To see just how my dreams would fit
Measuring the walls to weigh
O home without you in it.

I pictured it, the life to come
A lazy Sunday night
The girls are dancing, having fun
As I switch off the light.

I pictured dinner on the plates
And pictures on the walls
Their little toys, their bikes and skates
My books, my clothes and shawls.

I got so sad on my way back
From Liberation Street
Thinking about those things I’ll lack
The garden, tub and window seat.

It wasn’t any of those things
That made me crawl inside
As you prepared to spread your wings
Misguided by your pride.

It was the dream I left behind
The dream of you and I,
It was that gravestone in my mind
The one that read ‘goodbye’.

No comments:

Post a Comment